Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 11/05/13: Getting the Works Cited Page Right, Salt and Salty, The Big Questions

1.  If you ever decide to teach composition, one of the thorns in your side will be helping students create a Works Cited page employing MLA style.  I know.  That sentence was Sominex.  I teach students how EasyBib helps them create the entries and create the Works Cited page and then I send them off to computers in the library (or elsewhere) to create their Works Cited page on the spot, not later when they finish their papers, not when the mold has spread over my instruction.  They bring the Works Cited page back. I go over them on the spot, make corrections if need be, on the spot, and by the end of the class, they have a perfectly created Works Cited page to end their paper with.  All my students did it right.  (But, one thorn remains:  those students who missed class today....sigh.)

2.  As I left the Center building this afternoon to go home, I ran into Jim Salt, a cradle Red Sox fan.  He's a great sports fan all the way around, but he loves the Sox the most of all and we had a great talk for several minutes going back over the joy and details of the Red Sox World Series victory.  (We never mentioned David Ortiz.  I thought that was kind of remarkable'; instead, we talked about other guys like Gomes and sitting Salty down and Victorino and Drew and others.) 

3.  The Deke and I met at Cornucopia and then went over to Billy Mac's for hot chicken strips.  Out before us:  the big questions.  We tackled 'em.  We didn't answer 'em.  But we tackled 'em. 

No comments: