Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 11/26/13: WR 115 Wrap Up, Fotodiox Adapter Arrives, Chewin' the Fat with Kelly

1.  Focus on a central idea.  Develop details.  Move purposefully from sentence to sentence and paragraph to paragraph to create coherence and structure.  Work between the abstract and the concrete.  I wrapped up my instruction in WR 115 by telling my students that this is what good writing comes down to.  Purpose is in the focus.  Details are for the audience.  So is structure. Content is both abstract and concrete.  It's like developing a golf swing:  just hit the damn ball.  Just write.  What state of mind is needed?  Let it rip.  Relax.  It's not easy (at all), but it's simple.

2. The adapter from Fotodiox arrived today.  I figured out how it works, although it took me a while to figure out how to release the Nikkor lens from the adapter.  I was nervous for a while, but I figured it out.  That was a big relief.  Happily, I can now use my 50 mm Nikkor manual lens, as well as my other manuals, on my Pentax Q.  I look forward to getting out and about and seeing what I think of how my new camera and my manual lenses work together. 

3.  Kelly and I last enjoyed a few beers together over a year ago at 16 Tons when the joint had a farewell party for both Colin and Emily.  Finally, we got together again tonight at the Pour House and got caught up on all kinds of stuff and had a great time chewing major fat.

No comments: