Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Three Beautiful Things, 11/19/13: Lights Going on in WR 115, Retired from the Bureau, Ride and Salad and Whiskey and Rosy Cheeks

1.  As a writing instructor, I never know if lights will go on in my students' minds about all kinds of things related to writing.  Today, however, when one student showed me a revision of her work on when when she realized her first communion was more than a new dress, another student showed me her work on the physical demands and the intelligence her husband's job as a firefighter demands, and when another student asked me insightful questions about her paper on the way her CNA work required a merging of the body and the mind, I saw that lights had gone on in WR 115. 

2.  One of the many things I enjoy about working two days a week as a retired instructor is that I am not involved in the discussions having to do with how the English department functions.  This means that if I see Dean Susan Carkin's office door open, I can drop in and say hello and enjoy her as a good person and not talk with her as a bureaucrat, or, really, as my boss.  I had such a brief encounter today with her and my good friend and fellow instructor Jose in her office and we shared good cheer, some laughs, and almost as quickly as it started, this little visit was over. 

3.  Russell kindly offered me a ride home from LCC, saving me a walk home from the bus station in a downpour and so I was dry and happy to have talked with him when I got home and fixed myself a salad stocked with greens, cabbage, baby carrots, and cucumber, dressed in with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, and pepper and then, with a little food inside me, enjoyed some Pendleton Canadian Whiskey, and relaxed after a day of teaching that made my cheeks rosy.  I didn't know my cheeks were rosy, but when Dean Susan Carkin asked me why my cheeks were rosy, I told her I'd been teaching my ass off.  It's true.  Teaching my ass off makes my cheeks rosy. 

No comments: