Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 11/12/13: What I Enjoy at Work, Slow Beer, Spaghetti

1.  Here's what I enjoy most on the days I work:  for starters, I enjoy being able to drop by Jeff's office and have a quick smart exchange about the Henriad, and Henry IV, part 1, in particular.  Then, I always enjoy leading my students in discussions about work, the intelligence blue collar jobs require, and the way our lives are affected by attitudes shaped by one's class standing.  We read the beginning of Mike Rose's article, "Blue-Collar Brilliance" and I enjoyed discussing the early part of the essay and what was happening in the moment, and I also enjoyed the flashbacks I was having to the days of teaching Working Class Literature with MB and the days my WR 122 sections focused on readings about work and how they wrote essays about the same.  I loved teaching Shakespeare and loved teaching about work and enjoyed having both loves come alive today at work.

2.  A trip to the bank and then a stroll to 16 Tons where I waited for the Deke and read more of The Book of Air and Shadows.  The afternoon is perfect at 16 Tons.  It's quiet and the lighting makes it easy to read. 

3.  After a beer or two at 16 Tons, the Deke and I went to Billy Mac's.  It was spaghetti night at Billy Mac's and I'd been wanting some spaghetti for a couple of weeks and tonght my wish came true -- sure tasted good with that Goosebump red.

No comments: