Saturday, November 23, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 11/22/13: Stu and I Remember, Day #1 with the Q, Base Camp S'more Stout with Michael

1.  He's the Stu.  Stugart.  Sturt. Mulligan. He's Scott Stuart, member of the Great Guys Hall of Fame, and he started texting me this morning about how he and I heard the news about the president being killed fifty years ago.  Then we talked on the phone.  I remembered I was shooting a basketball through a fire escape brace at the back of the school (this was our hoop, since we didn't have an outdoor basket) and David Rowley told me the president had been shot.  Scott remembered Eddie and Johnny Lee telling both of us.  We decided we might both be remembering correctly and agreed it's hard to remember everything with clarity when it happened so long ago.  I have to say, though, that the David Rowley memory is the one I've been sharing with people ever since college when I first was aked the "Where were you...?" question.

2.  I walked to the U. of O. campus today to buy a memory card so I could give my new Pentax Q a spin.  As much as I take pictures, it always surprises me a bit how much I have to learn when I have a new or different camera in tow.  I made some progress today with the Q.  I have some things to adjust to, to get used to.  I looked at the pictures I took, didn't put them on my desktop yet.  I was tired and decided to wait until Saturday some time.  Then I'll post some of my first pictures with the Q.  I look forward to getting used to how it operates and to the way its zoom lens functions.  Right now, the Q is operating me more than I am operating the Q and that's just fine.

3.  Michael and I met at the Bier Stein for some Base Camp S'more Stout and for a great conversation about all kinds of stuff.  Michael respected my retirement from the details of English department business and we talked about all kinds of other things.  The Deke joined us about an hour after we got together and her arrival raised the level of conversation even higher and we parted ways as the Bier Stein started to get crowded and noisier, happy that we could be such good friends and enjoy each other so much.  (You know, before I went to the Bier Stein, I had to know if 16 Tons still had Velvet Merkin left in the keg and they did and I enjoyed one more half pint and then had a slow half pint of Velvet Merlin for old times sake.  It was a very pleasurable visit to one of my favorite taprooms of all.)

No comments: