Thursday, November 28, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 11/27/13: Talking to Mom, Q Learning Curve Steepens, Reading and Eating at the Pour House

1.  I had a good talk with Mom this morning, but came away from it wishing, for her sake, that more than managing pain could be done for her physical well-being and comfort.  She bears her pain, as she always has, but being able to bear it is hardly the same as being relieved of it.

2.  The Pentax Q turns my 50 mm Nikkor manual lens into a fixed focal length zoom lens, I guess you'd say.  Objects that once were farther way are now closer when I mount the 50 mm on my Q.  It's disorienting for me and I'm not used to being without a viewfinder.  So I took the Q and the manual lens out in the back yard so we could get better acquainted.  I am having trouble with manual focus, but I did turn off the power saving feature in the Q so that the LCD screen doesn't go dim after 10 seconds and that will help.  I'm sure I'll get this worked out over time, both the focus and how the lens works in relation to subject matter at what distance.  Today, for me, because I'm this way, it was a workout.  I'll post pictures I've taken with the Q and this lens when I like what I've done a bit more.

3.  I decided to take advantage of having a superb deli and brewpub just two blocks away and walked over to the Pour House and ordered a bowl of their astonishing chicken noodle soup and an open faced smoked salmon sandwich on a pumpernickel bagel.  I had a pint of Hans Sprungfield Best Bitter and a 12 oz glass of ILLCoMUNICHation Lager.  I sat at their bar with the latest New Yorker and read Hilton Als' very positive review of Tim Carroll's all-male Twelfth Night production and his dismissive review of Julie Taymor's A Midsummer Night's Dream.  I also read a review essay looking at books about Twitter, Amazon, Google, and Apple that put the corporate practices of these behemoths in an historical context of how CEOs behave and how, traditionally, corporations have functioned, regardless of the master narrative these entities tell about themselves.  Oh, I took a some pictures of the Pour House as I left. Here's one:


For those of you who know this neighborhood, but are no longer Eugene residents, this is quite a change from the when the Art of Glass occupied this building.

No comments: