Sunday, July 20, 2014

Three Beautiful Thngs 07/19/14: Brewing Tales on the Metro, Shakespeare on Film, Adrienne and Jack!

1.  I've never lived in a place where trains are an integral part of daily life.  Kellogg?  No.  Spokane? No.  Eugene? No.  All the same, I've always loved train travel, whether on the Tube in London, traveling on Brit Rail around England, Wales, and Scotland when I was young, going on AmTrack in the west, traversing Brooklyn and Manhattan on the MTA, or cruising from place to place on the Metro in the Washington, D.C. area.  This morning, I got back into the Metro groove, riding from Huntington to the Pentagon and jumping on the blue line to Foggy Bottom and back to Huntington via King Street, Alexandria.  On the way to the Pentagon station, a woman from Warrenville, IL was very excited about my Two Brothers Brewing T-shirt and, once I confessed I hadn't yet quaffed Two Brothers beer, she gave me a rundown on their different ales and, unfortunately, my arrival at the Pentagon interrupted our conversation, just as she was telling me about her family's love of homebrewing.

2.  Watching a filmed live production of Henry IV, part 2 at the West End Cinema near Foggy Bottom thrilled me.  The play's intense exploration of riot, national and personal disease, and the disintegrating impacts of war, on the personal, local, and national levels, left me overwhelmed so I found a bench near the George Washington Medical Center and just sat for over a half an hour and stared.  (If you'd like to know more, later I'll post a blog entry about what I experienced.)

3.  Adrienne and Jack arrived at Molly and Hiram's today in advance of the EPIC birthday party for Olivia tomorrow and it's fun to see Adrienne and to see how much Jack has grown up since the last time I saw him in person nearly two years ago. 

No comments: