Saturday, January 2, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 01/01/16: It's Authentic Eggplant, New Dinner, Back to *Bosch*

1.  The stickers on the purple skinned oblong globes at the Co-op said "aubergine".  To my eye, they looked like eggplant.  Fortunately, I always carry my Eggplant Authentication Scanner with me -- I can actually keep it on my key ring -- so I scanned this thing called "aubergine" and to my relief, it was an authentic eggplant.  I nodded to myself, bagged the eggplant, and moved on to the dairy section.*

2.  The Deke and I decided to spend the day in our apartment home, thus interrupting our viewing of the Star Wars saga.  I fixed a new dish for dinner: I stir fried tofu, added onion, fried it, then stir fried eggplant. I made a little space in the center of the electric frying pan's surface, oiled it, and dropped minced ginger into this area and put minced fermented garlic into the stuff I'd already fried. Separately, I toasted sesame seeds and combined chicken broth, sesame oil, and soy sauce and poured both over the eggplant, onion, tofu, ginger, and garlic mixture.  I served this in a bowl with couscous and both the Deke and I heated up our bowls with sriracha sauce. This meal was a success.

3. I returned to the difficulties in the life of detective Harry Bosch today and watched two more episodes of Bosch.  His court trial is over, but he's really up against it with the serial killer Raynard Waits, played expertly by Jason Gedrick.


*By the way, if you are feeling the urge to tell me that "aubergine" is what eggplants are called in England and sometimes in Canada, I know that. I wrote this entry mostly to brag about my Eggplant Authentication Scanner, a device, until now, I haven't mentioned in my Three Beautiful Things.

No comments: