Monday, January 4, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 01/03/16: Lake Walk, Chicken Soup, *Bosch* and Cinema 7

1. The day was clear and chilly.  The Deke and I walked the circumference of Greenbelt Lake. It was the Deke's first walk around the lake and we both enjoyed the walk and one another's company.

2. With the help of a meatless Tortilla Soup recipe from The Heart of the Plate, I made a chicken soup that featured chilies, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, onion, garlic, tomatoes, black beans, corn, limed avocados, and the chicken stock and chicken I made yesterday. When the Deke requested this soup, she had a certain soup in mind and what I made was exactly what she had imagined. It's really good.

3. I watched several episodes tonight of Bosch and finished Season 1.  The main story chilled me, unnerved me. The acting thrilled me, though. For me, it was similar to reading Dickens because of all the quickly drawn and detailed characters in the show, characters brought to life by brilliant character actors, many of them older actors, including Titus Welliver who plays the role of Harry Bosch. Of special interest to me was Veronica Cartwright -- she's now sixty-six years old and played a character who might be older than this. Seeing her took me back to 1980 and an obscure, unforgettable movie I saw at the Cinema 7 theater in Eugene entitled Inserts. It featured Richard Dreyfuss as a stubborn maker of silent movies, who refuses to make talkies, and so confines himself to his rundown mansion where he makes silent blue movies. Veronica Cartwright contributed beautifully to the movie's study of decadence and delusions and I enjoyed thinking back to that afternoon at movies about thirty-five years ago when Eileen and I  and John and Barbra watched Inserts and another movie by the same director, John Byrum, entitled Heart Beat, a movie based on Carolyn Cassady's memoir of life with Jack Kerouac and Neal Cassady.  I loved those days of double features at Cinema 7 -- the Bijou showed double features back then, too. I also love that certain days watching movies stick with me forever.

No comments: