Friday, January 8, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 01/07/16: Waiting and Reading, A Perfect Dinner, A Look Back at the Wah-Wah

1.  I dropped off the Sube for an oil change, not knowing when it would be done. I didn't feel like walking home, so I walked around the Roosevelt Center area until the Co-op opened at 9, bought a bagel and coffee, sat outside in the town square in 34 degree weather and read my book (Concrete Blonde) and then walked to the library where I read more of my book and then walked back to the service station, found out the car would be ready in about an hour, so I went to the New Deal Cafe for a coffee and read some more. It was all pleasant and fun -- not only the reading, but the overhearing of many conversation while I read.

2. Late this afternoon, at the Co-op, I bought a loaf of sesame semolina bread and a chunk of Dubliner white cheddar cheese and to make the dinner the Deke requested:  toasted cheese sandwiches with cabbage salad. I made a vinaigrette of garlic, red wine vinegar, honey, Tom's hot sauce, olive oil, lemon, and oregano and it worked  well on the cabbage salad and the Deke told me it was a perfect dinner, just what she had hoped for and imagined.

3. I took a trip over to www.openculture.com and for no reason I can explain found and watched an hour long documentary entitled, Cry Baby: The Pedal that Rocks the World.  The film is a history of the wah-wah pedal.  I had no idea about how it came about and what it meant to a variety of guitar players and I really enjoyed listening to the wah-wah at work in songs like "Papa Was a Rolling Stone", "Tales of Brave Ulysses", "The Theme from Shaft", and, of course, both Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn summiting the wah-wah Everest with their respective versions of "Voodoo Child".

No comments: