Saturday, January 9, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 01/08/16: Dental Spa, Deanna's Good, On the (Glorious) Wings of Armageddon

1. Thursday,  I lumbered into the offices of the McCarl Dental Group to see about making an appointment for a routine checkup and they got me in today, on Friday.  So, here's the deal.  When I was a youngster, I dreaded the dentist, I dreaded the treatment, the lectures, the threats ("your Dad will kill me if you end up with dentures like he did"), but ever since I started going to Dr. Stephenson's practice in Eugene back around 2000 and then when I went to see Cathy for cleanings at Bird Family Dental during my visits to Kellogg in late 2014 and again in July of 2015, I have experienced going to the dentist as a visit to the spa.  It's so comfortable, so easy, and everyone is so calm and friendly.  I don't walk out feeling like I just boxed 12 rounds with Joe Frazier. My visit to the McCarl Group continued the spa tradition and, not only did I get comfortable and comprehensive dental care, I had some great conversations about Homer, the corgis, the Zinc Plant, and moving out to Greenbelt to be close to our grandchildren.

2. I took a drive over to chez Diaz to check up on Deanna, the cat, and to make sure things looked unbothered over there.  It was all good.

3. The Deke and I went to the Old Line Bistro and split the burger called Scandal: roasted red peppers, sweet ketchup, pickles, and provolone cheese piled on a half pound slab of brisket inside a brioche bun topped with sesame seeds served with homemade potato chips.  We are much happier each eating a half of such a burger, and, as good as it was, the best part of the meal was that Old Line had DC Brau's perfect Imperial IPA on tap, the glorious On the Wings of Armageddon.  We enjoyed the beer so much that we bought a 32 oz jug of it to take home -- and savor!

No comments: