Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 01/19/16: Snow Prep, Mom's Birthday Flowers Arrived, Quick Comfort Food

1. You've probably heard about it. Weather forecasters predict a cataclysmic snow storm will arrive on Friday in our nation's capital and in the surrounding suburbs, including Greenbelt. So, today I went out and bought cans of tomatoes, chicken broth, pasta, two whole chickens, lots of vegetables, milk, coffee, and other supplies so we will have plenty of food on hand if we can't get out of our apartment home. I hope we don't lose our electricity -- if we do, well, I bought a bag of kale salad and we have a huge can of peanuts.

2. I stopped at the library to pick up a gorgeous illustrated history of D. C. neighborhoods and I noticed I had a voice mail message.  It was from the florist in Kellogg and I called back and found out the bouquet of flowers I ordered on behalf of the Deke and me for Mom on her birthday had been delivered to her.  Christy took some pictures of the bouquet and here's one of Mom on her 85th birthday posing with the flowers:



3.  I had some leftover eggplant from when the Deke and I had fried eggplant sandwiches and I sauteed it with a yellow pepper, poured diced tomatoes over the vegetables, jazzed it all up with garlic powder, basil, oregano, and black pepper and served it over spaghetti for a quick and tasty little dinner.

No comments: