Sunday, January 24, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 01/23/16: Storm Pictures, The Deke Makes the Perfect Soup, Back to Jack Frost

1. Jonas seemed indefatigable. For a short time this afternoon, the snow subsided, but, otherwise, it fell for over thirty hours straight.  I took pictures at different times during the day and here's an example from each set:

Out Back at 8:30



Wiper Blades Up at 11:30

The Sube at 3:30

Out Back at 7:06


Out Back at 10:15


2.  With the snow came excitement in our apartment building -- normally quiet college students spent time out back making snow angels, building a snow figure that looked like Jabba the Hut, trying to sled down the slope outside the swimming pool, and rolling a big snowball.  This commotion drove Maggie to distraction and I spent an hour with her and Charly in our bedroom, also known as "the quiet room", and while I was spending quiet time with the dogs, the Deke imagined a Thai-styled soup with chicken, mushrooms, ginger, coconut milk, chicken broth, onion, red pepper flakes, and I'm not sure what else and she cooked it and it was perfect, especially as a source of warming comfort in the midst of Jonas. 

3.  The streaming service provided by the Prince George's County Library System can be wiggy at times, but I decided to give it a try this evening so I could watch the first episode of season 4 of A Touch of Frost.  It worked and I loved watching Jack Frost in action again.  I also loved that I recognized the actor who played Karl (Danny Webb) from the 1989 movie version of Henry V. Webb played Gower alongside Ian Holm's unforgettable Fluellen. It was also fun to recognize Marc Warren, who was the bad guy in this episode of Frost, from his role as Dominic Foy in The State of Play -- the British television version, not the U. S. movie. Recognizing Danny Webb brought back a rush of memories to all of the great times I had in and out of class watching and loving Henry V.  I watched clips from the movie tonight.  It's hard to believe it's over 25 years old -- it still looks as fresh and innovative and alive all these years later, to me, as it did when I first saw it in about 1990 at the Bijou in Eugene.  

No comments: