Thursday, January 7, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 01/06/16: Back to the Pool, Back to the 80s and 90s, Hall of Fame Outrage

1. After I swam six laps, I went into the area of the pool where I go to water aerobics and exercised for over a half an hour.  It was fun and prompted me to go online and look for more aquatic exercise ideas -- now if I can only remember them.

2. It was back to the 80s and 90s day in the kitchen. I chopped up an onion, some garlic cloves, some red potatoes, a purple sweet potato, a yellow summer squash, and an eggplant, sauteed them, added barley, oregano, basil, and diced tomatoes and some water, cooked it covered for a while and then transferred the vegetables into a casserole dish and stirred in grated sharp cheddar cheese. After it cooked for about 40 minutes or so, I took the lid off, covered the top with more cheese, and put it back in the oven so the cheese would melt. I made this dish countless times in graduate school and on into the 90s, including my early days of marriage with the Deke.  Then, as often happens, I guess, this comfortable and tasty casserole got lost -- but now it is found again.

3. Two of my buddies from American Legion baseball days, Wucky and Byrdman, contacted me with outrage that Ken Griffey, Jr. was not unanimously elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame.  Both of them asked the same basic question:  What three #!%**$ moron/idiots left Griffey off of their HOF ballots? I figured there were three grouches out there who didn't think anyone should ever be elected unanimously -- or maybe three grouches who don't think anyone should ever be elected in their first year of eligibility.  I don't get it -- but, then, I don't get how any writers left Henry Aaron or Willie Mays off their ballots when both of them were elected.  I think some members of the Baseball Writers Association of America have weird egos and abuse their voting privileges in weird ways -- evening scores, using bogus criteria, and sometimes just being plain ornery.

No comments: