Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 04/02/13: I'm on Your Side, Brown Rice Greekish Salad, Milk

1.  Smiles opened across the classroom when I told my students the first day of class today what is most important to me.  To quote myself:  "I'm on your side."  The students relaxed.  They listened to me walk through the syllabus.  They even laughed at my wise cracks.  We got off to a good start.

2.  Do you ever do this? Mix cooked and chilled brown rice in a bowl with diced cucumbers, diced tomatoes, kalamata olives (and some brine), roasted almonds, chopped parsley, lemon juice, and olive oil to make a brown rice salad?  I do and with the left over drumettes from last night, this was a really good dinner.  The Deke and I had a couple of dolmas each on the side. 

3.  I got word back from Bill Davie that he found my paper, "On Needing Richard Hugo" nourishing.  He called it milk.  It makes me very happy when people enjoy this modest bit of writing I've been tinkering with for nearly eleven years now. 

No comments: