Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 12/03/13: Machine Shop Pictures, Two Buck Brisket, Peace at Home

1.  As an option for a final essay in WR 115, I told my students they could do a second photo project.  I would take some pictures and the student would write about it in relation to the one I took in October.  Only one student took this option and he is a machine shop student and he was very happy when I gave him thirteen pictures of him working at a lathe.  Some were faceless portraits of the lathe and his hands.  He liked the pictures and it made me want to return to LCC's machine shop and take more.  (I would post some of these pictures, but I promise my students I'll never post pictures I take of them.)

2.  I got off the bus downtown and strolled to the First National Taphouse.  They have tasty two dollar beef brisket tacos on Tuesdays and a fine three dollar margarita.  It made for a satisfying early afternoon lunch and the music playing over the sound system augmented my dining pleasure:  Marshall Tucker Band, Cream, Credence Clearwater Revival, and other stuff from my high school days.

3.  I fixed a dinner of onion, garlic, ginger, celery, eggplant, mushroom, red pepper stir fry over soba noodles fried in sesame oil.  The Deke and I ate and the quiet began.  We spent our evening's hours unbothered by any sound other than the occasional corgi whimper or bark, some  a capella singing on YouTube, and a bit of conversation about what tomorrow will bring.  We like it quiet.  It's restful.  It's peaceful. 

No comments: