Sunday, December 29, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 12/28/13: Loving *Saving Mr. Banks*, Bistro on Spruce, Hot Buttered Rum

Family Day

1.  While my sisters and I tried to decide on what to do for a sibling outing, I recommended that we see Saving Mr. Banks.  Then we decided to make it a family outing, thinking Mom would enjoy this movie.  So, Mom, Christy, Carol, and I piled into the Malibu and went to the Riverstone Cinema and watched Saving Mr. Banks.  We loved it.  I would have loved it had I seen it alone, but it was also a perfect movie to see together.  We all were wiping tears from our cheeks.  We loved the story and loved the substantial, stirring work of Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks.  For me, this was among the most moving and satisfying movies I've ever seen.  I plan to explain this a little more in a separate blog post.  (By the way, I do not recommend that others see movies based on my experience with them.  Yes.  For deeply personal reasons, I loved this movie, but others may not have the emotional attachments to stories like this one that I have;  also, others may not have the kind of feelings I have for Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks [and Paul Giamatti].  I don't pretend to know what other people will experience when they see movies I love.)

2.  The movie was a birthday gift from Carol and then we went to the Bistro on Spruce to further extend the celebration of my birthday.  We were seated in a room toward the back, out of earshot of the live music, and enjoyed a quiet meal together.  I was most happy with my gumbo and pinot noir wine and everyone else enjoyed their meals.  The fine food added to the happiness we were all experiencing after seeing Saving Mr. Banks

3.  The family day grew when we arrived back in Kellogg.  Paul, Zoe, and Cosette came over and the adults all had a hot buttered rum and we visited, told stories, got some laughs, and got caught up on people in the Valley or who have left.  I was the first to hit the wall and slipped into a night of peaceful sleep after such a splendid day with my family. 

No comments: