Saturday, December 7, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 12/06/13: Home in the Snow, Good Days and Lousy Days Taking Pictures, Black Beans and Whiskey

1.  I grew up in the snowy wintry climate of Kellogg, Idaho and I don't think there is anything noble about driving well in snow and on ice.  I never want to do it again.  So, today, when several inches of snow fell here in Eugene and everything was called off, I was happy.  Yes, I would have preferred taking part in the Shakespeare Showcase dress/tech rehearsal.  I love rehearsals.  I also hate driving in the snow and ice and was most happy that I could stay home.  And, by the way, it's not "the other drivers" that make me say this.  Even if I were the only car on any given street or road, I hate driving in the snow and I don't think any car is built for doing it. 

2.  I returned to my picture project, rescuing pictures off of memory cards and out of my Flickr account that I lost a year ago when an external drive of mine went to hell.  My instincts about picture taking outings are pretty good.  I remember days, like when Russell and I went to Island Park or another day at Dorris Ranch when I thought, at the time, my pictures today are really lousy.  Today, with the passing of time, I went back over these pictures from about two years ago and, yes, they stunk.  But, then there were other days, like in April 2012 at the downtown markets on a couple of Saturdays when looking back at pictures I'm so glad I didn't permanently lose fired me up, and I felt the joy that comes from taking some pretty decent shots.

3.  I love black beans and I love making soup and on this frigid December Friday, making some black bean soup with Mexican seasonings, so that it was sort of a chili, was perfect and comfortably complemented the couple or three Whippersnapper Whiskeys I slowly sipped on to keep my belly warm and my face ruddy. 

No comments: