Saturday, December 21, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 12/20/13: Chewin' It with Abbey, The Desk is Upstairs, Friday Night with the Deke -- Long Distance

1.  After Mom and I did some errand running at Wal Mart and Yokes, I soloed it to Stein's, hoping Abbey would be working.  I've known Abbey since our family moved to Sunnyside in 1962, so he and I go back over fifty years.  Business at Stein's is pretty slow, so Abbey wasn't pushed by anything and we stood by the dairy counter and shot the breeze for about a half an hour and it was a ton of fun.

2.  It wasn't too tricky of a move, but space is tight in Mom's house and after scooting the dining table over and getting some living room furniture out of the way and clearing the basement stairs and moving some stuff in the basement, Paul and I worked together like professional movers to get Mom's desk moved from the basement to her bedroom.  Not bad.  Not too bad.

3.  First a flurry of text messages.  Then we got on the phone.  The Deke and I did the best we could to make one of our Friday night bullshit sessions work, even though we are over 600 miles apart.  To make it all more real, I poured some Pendleton whiskey over an ice cube and got a little bit of the feeling of sharing a cocktail with the Deke.  It all ended as usual:  lots of good talk, nothing decided.  All's right with the world.

No comments: