Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 12/09/13: Pictures and Keeping It Real, Cell Room Talk, Whippersnapper Bloggin'

1.  I got through another 16 GB memory card of pictures I had lost to the external hard drive crash of October, 2012.  It's sobering.  It's a reality check.  It's edifying.  When trying to take decent pictures, I've got to learn to live with a high failure rate and I need to have more appreciation for the pictures that are pretty good.  And, to repeat myself, I am going to stop taking 200 or more pictures during a single session.  It's absurd to shoot that much, I think.  It's a bad habit, in my opinion, to take a high volume of pictures with the idea that something will work out.  I'd rather take fewer pictures, give each shot more care, and see what happens.

2.  Tom Tierney, who has been a friend for about forty-five years commented on my post regarding my 2500 posts on this blog that he is most interested when I write about my dad or my experience in the Bunker Hill zinc plant.  I take this to also mean when I write about living in Kellogg.  I took his comments to heart.  The Deke has told me the same thing.  So has Jane H.  So I wrote a piece today about those days when it was way below freezing in the cell room and I enjoyed all the response I got and conversation that ensued on Facebook, especially with my fellow stripper, Jim Etherton. I was also grateful for the story Bobbie Hunsinger told me about her dad twice falling into a vat of acid because of rotting rails and being rescued.  It's been forty years since I worked in the cell room, but the memories remain fresh.   These Facebook conversations will be the basis for another post about the Zinc Plant.

3.  It was a good day for hearing from friends I've known forever about my blog.  Terry Turner, my friend for over fifty years,  let me know that he was sipping on an Old Whippersnapper and reading my blog and thanked me for keeping it.  He inspired me to break out my own bottle of Old Whippersnapper and sip on a couple of fingers of Oregon Spirit Whiskey and write the piece I just mentioned about the cell room in arctic conditions. 

No comments: