Thursday, December 12, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 12/11/13: Thinkin Bout the Times I Drove in My Car, More Zinc Plant Writing, Heavy Dinner

1.  I drove the car for the first time in a week and, when I went out, the main roads were wet, not icy, and I was happy to get gas, meet up with friends for coffee, and get an errand run at Costco.

2.  My friend Tom Tierney's positive response to my writings over the years about the zinc plant moved me to write more about the zinc plant day before yesterday and today.  I've heard back from Jim and Rick, who also worked at the zinc plant -- in Rick's case, also at the smelter and in the mine -- and from other friends who didn't know I'd been hurt at the Zinc Plant and read about my accident for the first time.  Via Jim's sister, I downloaded a document that's over 70 pages long summing up the metallurgical, operational, and construction history of the zinc plant and learned more about the Bunker Hill's efforts to diversify the zinc plant's operations and what it produced.  It was, on the one hand, a hell hole (Tom says I'm being too kind to call the zinc plant a hell hole), and,at the same time, a fascinating operation that I had only dim understanding of forty years ago, but am coming to understand a little better today.

But the best part of writing about the zinc plant is the online conversations that result and the stories that people who read my remembrances remember themselves.  I really enjoy reading the thoughts and stories of others.

3.  The Deke and I decided we wanted something heavy, salty, and industrial for dinner, so I picked up a ravioli lasagne with sausage and beef bolognese sauce at Costco along with a baguette and a bottle of Rex Goliath Free Range Red Wine at the Kiva and we had out heavy, salty, industrial dinner and we enjoyed it.  On a cold Eugene night, it hit the spot and was a perfect departure from all those rice, soba noodle or udon noodle vegetarian/tofu stir fries. 

No comments: