Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 03/04/14: At Least Some Are Thinking, Flowering Student, Fat Tuesday Belgian Blow Out

1.  I now know, from some students' remarks in class, and things a few have said to me in private, that the stuff the class has read and viewed and that they have written about has made some of my students think more deeply and even think differently about people and their work, the possibilities of education, and about happiness.  I hope for two things when I teach:  first, that my students experience me as an ally and, second, that they ponder some things, maybe for the first time -- or, maybe more deeply.

2.  One of my students, a grandmother, is back at school after being let go by a local cereal maker because she couldn't keep up on the production line.  She struggles.  She asked me to read a draft of  her photography project. She wrote that she had her picture taken near a large flower box outside the cafeteria because, and I paraphrase, maybe like those first blossoms of spring, she, too, might be beginning to flower.  Her words moved me -- and I told her so. 

3.  Here's the truth.  If I were to say what I enjoy in life the most, high among them would be getting together with other beer lovers and taking turns buying bottles of different beers and sharing them.  It's the best way to drink beer and a great way to spend time with friends.  For Fat Tuesday/Shrove Tuesday/Mardi Gras, St. Mary's parishioners Loren, Shane, the Troxstar, and I met at the Bier Stein and enjoyed a variety of Belgian styled beers, including farmhouse ale.  It was a great time. The session began with Goose Island's Sofie and ended with Logsdon's Peche n Brett with a variety of great beers in between.   We enjoyed the beer, had a great time yakking, and properly prepared ourselves to enter into the Lenten season. 

No comments: