Monday, March 10, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 03/09/14: The Day After, Edward Albee on CD, More Art Talk

1.  It was after midnight this morning until the Deke and I had wound down sufficiently after the Babes with Axes show to be able to go to sleep.  I wasn't able to get out of bed until about 9:30 or so, and I didn't perform!  The Deke slept longer and then kept going back to sleep during the day.  She was exhausted after performing for nearly three and half hours to about 375 people packed into the W.O.W Hall.  The Deke and I talked a lot about the show.  I talked about how I experienced it in the audience and she explained how she was in a whole different experience performing the show.  I'm sure these conversations will continue.  It's all part of a larger conversation the Deke and are always having about art, performing art, and the demands of art.  These talks are a huge part of what makes us who we are.

2.  The Deke left the house to go to Sam Bond's and meet up with Katie and Laura and I strolled over to the Pour House for a Beef Brisket Pastrami sandwich, which I ordered rubenized.  It was heavenly and paired really well with the Third Rauch from the Sun Lager I drank.  I read stuff in the New York Times about Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf and how the original Broadway production is coming out on cd.  It features Uta Hagen, Arthur Hill, Melinda Dillon, and George Grizzard.  I thought about that play and that script and what great radio/cd drama it would be.  I also longed for the January days in 1983 and 1984 when students in my Family in American Drama class and I studied this play.  Did we watch the Elizabeth Taylor/Richard Burton movie of it?  Maybe someone who knows will read this and remind me...

3.  Katie and the Deke arrived back at the house and invited me to return to the Pour House and I had another Third Rauch from the Sun Lager beer and they let me join in on their discussion of last night's show and we discussed the life of the band.  This meant more talk about art and music and performance and the impact of art.  It matters a lot to us. 

No comments: