Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 03/11/14: Reading My Hugo Paper, Relaxed Writing, Molly Makes Pizza

1.  Over the years I've worked a little more and little more on an essay I'm writing entitled, "On Needing Richard Hugo".  As WR 115 winds down, I tell my students I'll read it aloud to any who want to hear it, but it's totally optional.  About five or six students in my 10:00 section listened to me read and we had a good conversation about it.  No one in my 12:00 section stuck around to hear it.  Ha!  I got to go home really early. 

2.  I read my students' papers about their portraits I took of them and I enjoyed that they wrote so freely and openly.  They didn't seem to be under any pressure.  I enjoy reading papers that have a relaxed tone. I'm glad I don't see the courses I teach as being all that important in the big picture.  I don't have a great sense of urgency in teaching my courses.   I tell my students they have writing to do.  Let's do it.  Let's try to enjoy it.  They begin to see I don't micro-manage their work  I want them to let it rip.  It's not boot camp.  There's not that much that go wrong.

3.  Molly made her and the Deke and me a superb pizza with pesto sauce, mushrooms, roasted garlic, and Italian sausage.  The salad on the side was great, too.  I really enjoyed having Molly cook dinner tonight and enjoyed that it was so good. 

No comments: