Thursday, March 27, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 03/26/14: Keeping Up the Lawn, Eggplant and Pork, Negotiating with David Koresh

1.  I admit it.  My lawn was the shaggiest on the block.  I finished the Dandelion Poppin' Project and mowed the lawn.  My lawn is now on equal footing with the neighbors' lawns.  Whew.

2.  I treated myself to a plate of Eggplant & Minud Pork with Hot Bean Sauce at Jade Palace.  I have no idea what minud pork is, but I can report that the pork was ground and made the hot bean sauce work like the pork gravy you get with a plate of biscuits and gravy.  I enjoyed it. Maybe "minud" is a word for "minced". 

3.  Over dinner I read a piece in the latest New Yorker by Malcolm Gladwell about how the government negotiators didn't understand the Branch Davidians, and David Koresh, during the deadly standoff at the Mt. Carmel Center Ranch.  I don't know what I expected, but the article was shallow to me.  It did remind me of what a terrible situation that whole standoff devolved into, but I wondered what the purpose of the article was....that not all negotiation situations are the same?  That federal agents are too locked into a certain approach to negotiations that doesn't allow them to deal with a messianic group like the Branch Davidians?  I'd have enjoyed a longer, deeper article.  Maybe Ben McGrath's profile of Kobe Bryant in the same issue will work better for me. 

No comments: