Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 11/13/14: Snow Scrimmage, Mom's Jaw Drops, Forensic Sleep Aid

1.  The cold snap, a.k.a. the Polar Vortex, continues to sit in Kellogg, reminding me of a great recess when I was in the fourth or fifth grade when the teachers let us play outside without supervision. About six inches of powdery snow blanketed the playground and, free of adults, we organized one of the best tackle football scrimmages I ever experienced in my whole life.  I came back to class snowy, eventually pretty wet, but my face burned with the pleasure of doing what the teachers would never let us do and with the illusion that I knew what it felt like to be a Green Bay Packer playing on the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field.

2.  With the TV room under control, it seemed like a good day to sweep the kitchen, vacuum the living room and hall, and to pull Mom's chair out, vacuum under it, and vacuum Mom's chair itself. Luckily, Mom survived the mild shock of having me do this without being asked.

3.  How is it that watching reruns of HLN's "Forensic Files" on the tiny television in the basement bedroom helps me sleep at night?

No comments: