Friday, November 28, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 11/27/14: Mom Loves Ads, Invigorating Walk, Splendid Dinner

1.  My first deed after morning coffee was to drive the ten or twelve miles or so up to the Tribal Trails gas pumps and convenience store to purchase the Thanksgiving edition of the Spokesman Review.  I brought along Christy and Everett's two wheeled dolly so I could transport the paper, thick and heavy with Black Friday ads, out to the car and into the house.  Paper delivered, Mom began her traditional two hour Thanksgiving Oral Reading of the Ads -- an interpretive reading, replete with oooohs, grunts of disapproval, dramatic pauses, and well-placed emphasis.  It's been a few years since I've been with Mom on Thanksgiving Day and a few years since I've been entranced by what's on sale at J. C. Penney, Macy's, Fred Meyer, Staples, Target, and a host of other Spokane area stores.

2.  I finally took some pictures today for the first time since I left Maryland.  Of course, I left my card reader in Kellogg, so I can't look at the pictures, but snapping these photos was a part of a most welcome walk down the hill to the shores of Lake Roosevelt and back up again, a much needed forty minutes of exercise.

3.  With nary a hitch, we all worked together to make a dinner of turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, kuri squash, cranberry and ginger sauce, warm salad with brussel sprouts and apple, olives (green and black), pickled vegetables, yeast rolls, huckleberry jam, and some refreshing white wine, both sparkling and Riesling.

No comments: