Monday, January 5, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 01/04/15: Snow Piles Up, Talking with the Deke, Mr. Tanner and I

1.  The snow kept piling up outside.  A guy who works for a neighbor did our first shoveling and, later, I shoveled the sidewalks.  Weather like this shuts Mom in.  It's the single fact that makes it hard for me to think about returning to Maryland on January 24th.

2.  It make me very happy when the Deke called me from Jiffy Lube in Alexandria and again from our apartment in Greenbelt and we started making plans for life when I return, a time we are both looking forward to.  Much in our life has been put on hold and we are looking forward to moving forward on these matters, matters regarding taxes, finances, our apartment and personal health.  As we get these things taken care of, I might begin to feel like the process of moving, which began when we first started to prepare to sell the house in Eugene back in April, might come to an end, nearly a year later.

3.  I had a lot of fun back in the kitchen today, baking chicken hindquarters, fixing Mom and me kale, heating up boiled potatoes we had left over from a few days ago, and making salad.  I also boiled another hindquarter and made chicken broth that will soon become a chicken soup.  When I'm in the kitchen, I'm like the title character in Harry Chapin's song, "Mr. Tanner".  About Mr. Tanner, Harry Chapin wrote, "He did not know how well he sang, it just made him whole."

No comments: