Sunday, October 11, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 10/10/15: Gorgeous Autumn Day, Leaves Around Greenbelt Lake, Probing the Inevitable

1. Gorgeous day here in our part of the Old Line State and I took advantage of it by walking a little over 10, 300 steps with by taking a slow picture stroll around Greenbelt Lake, moving on to the Greenbelt Public Library, where I picked up Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones, and then hanging out for a while among the booths selling drums, offering painting, and hawking tie dyed fashions at the Greenbelt Rhythm and Drum Festival at Roosevelt Center. Suddenly the word, "Only in Eugene" rang hollow!  I did not participate in our sprawling apartment complex's Fall Festival (I don't think I would have been welcome in the bounce house), but I did appreciate the decor outside the leasing office:



2. Leaves are slowly turning here in Greenbelt and I had a great time taking pictures of a variety of leaves in a variety of stages of their life and death as I strolled around Greenbelt Lake:




Halloween Mask!

3.  I'm all in now with the first three episodes of the Star Wars epic.  I could feel myself getting pulled in as Episode 2, The Attack of the Clones developed.  Now, keep in mind, I am a very casual viewer of these movies and I don't even have a list of critical criteria the movies must meet in order to be good and I am not at all someone who can communicate in any detail what the composition of the Star Wars universe and its characters are. I tend to enjoy these movies the most when they move into the realm of mythology, as I understand it, thanks to Joseph Campbell.  So, for me, I got more into this movie as the character of Anakin Skywalker got more complicated, as he chafes at Obi Wan's authority, longs for union with Padme, and as his longing for her seems to grow out of his separation from his mother. Seen mythologically, Anakin's rage upon his mother's death took me deep into his unconscious self, deep into the sources of his actions that are not driven by choice, but by loss and brokenness. If character is fate, this passage of the movie deepened my sense of Anakin's character and how it is inevitable, outside of his ability to choose, that he will align himself with the dark side of the Force.

No comments: