Saturday, October 24, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 10/23/15: Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens Hibernate, Back to Huntley Meadows, Mixed Six Pack of IPA

1. Much of this week, I've been taking care of things in our apartment home -- shopping, cleaning, cooking. Today, I got out of the house, starting with a drive down to the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens in NE DC. I was last there on a steamy late morning in August. Remember?  What a contrast today. All the lotuses and lilies and other aquatic flowers were dead and brown and decaying, in stark relief to the trees whose leaves were turning. I did, however, as you will see, find one flash of aquatic floral color in the gardens.






2.  After a stroll around the ponds at the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, I drove down to my favorite spot, so far, in the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) area, Huntley Meadows in Alexandria, just minutes from where Molly and Hiram rented a townhouse for three years until the end of June. As I hoped, Huntley Meadows was splendid, the weather was perfect, and I had a great time walking and taking some pictures.









3.  The Deke and I enjoy buying mixed six packs of beer, but there's nowhere in Greenbelt, or nearby, to buy them chilled. So, after Huntley Meadows, I drove down to the Shoppers store at the Mount Vernon Plaza and bought some IPAs we'd had before and a few that were new to us and when the Deke got home from work, we had a very mellow party.


No comments: