Friday, December 9, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 12/08/16: Sunnyside Elementary Comfort, Bourbon Comfort, Cowboy Casserole Comfort

1. Mom wants to be sure the Malibu is in good shape when the kids borrow it later this month to drive to Anaheim and back and so I drove it over to the garage to be serviced and inspected and it checked out well. Walking home from the service center and then back over to pick up the car in the frigid air reminded me of walking to Sunnyside Elementary when I was a kid and I felt gratitude that I always had a coat that was plenty warm, along with gloves, mittens, and a stocking cap, and, when the snow piled up, I always had galoshes. I also remembered the comforting warmth of the clanky radiator steam heat of the school building and the comforting smell of homemade bread or cinnamon rolls that greeted us when we entered the building in the morning.

2.  Carol dropped off Mom and Christy's poinsettias at Mom's house and I delivered Christy's to her. I hung out for a while with Christy and Everett and Tucker and Annie, and, to be honest, the warming effect of the Evan Williams Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky Christy shared with me was, in an adult way, just as satisfying as remembering the warmth and comforting smells of Sunnyside Elementary.

3. Speaking of comfort, Christy fixed dinner tonight and she and Everett brought a Crock Pot Cowboy Casserole with a lettuce and fruit dinner salad and biscuits. For me, the casserole epitomized comfort food: ground beef, kidney beans, potatoes, onion, garlic, and diced tomatoes topped with grated cheddar cheese. If you'd like to bring some slow-cooked comfort to your dinner table this winter, you can find the recipe right here.

No comments: