Friday, December 23, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 12/22/16: Patrick Arrives, Coffee Diuretic, The Grapeness at Old Line

1. I was up around 5:20 a.m., about to drink a cup of coffee, when a text message flew in. It was Patrick. His flight had arrived at Baltimore Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport an hour early. I responded that I'd get there a.s.a.p. and I sprang into the Sube and plowed up the Baltimore Washington Parkway, arrived at the airport, and picked up Patrick, beginning his twelve day stay in Maryland and, for a few days, New York.

2. The guy who checked out my groceries today at the Co-op has worked there for as long as I've lived here in Greenbelt. We've never talked. Today, however, he made me laugh when he suddenly launched into a long explanation of how be needed someone to come to his stand so he could go use the rest room and how he can drink six or seven beers before he has to relieve himself, but with coffee it's a whole 'nother story -- two cups, max, and it's off to the bathroom.

3. Patrick, the Deke, and I were going to go eat Kenyan food at Swahili Village, but the Deke had hit the wall and was too tired to go out. So, I fixed some leftovers for the Deke and then Patrick and I went to the Old Line Bistro where I was very happy to see that Ellicott City's Manor Hill's beers were still on tap from their tap takeover the night before. I'd had my eye on The Grapeness, their Double IPA, brewed in collaboration with Aslin Beer Company of Herndon, VA.  It was a juicy, hoppy bazooka blast of fermented bliss.

No comments: