Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 12/12/16: Snowblower Neighborliness, Podcast at the Garage, Dinner at the Waldos

1. I was bundled up and poised to step into the snowstorm and shovel Mom's sidewalks and driveway when our neighbor Bob roared up with his snowblower and cleared everything, making it easy for me to get to the garage and take Mom's Malibu down for some brake work repair.

2. While waiting for the Malibu to be repaired, I sat in one of the big faux leather love seats in the customer lounge and drank some coffee and tuned into another episode of The Big Listen, happy that host Lauren Ober featured the superb podcast Inside Appalachia from West Virginia Public Radio and I immediately thought, as I have before, how much this podcast would have enhanced the course on U. S. Working Class Literature Margaret and I taught together, especially when we studied the movie, Harlan County, USA. The Big Listen episode "Road Trippin'Across America" is here and if you'd like to check out Inside Appalachia, go here.

3. Ed and Nancy Hanson and I braved the ice and snow and arrived at Danny and Sharon Waldo's for a splendid homemade pizza and salad dinner and had a great time yakkin' and enjoying Sharon's superb food.

No comments: