Thursday, December 1, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 11/30/16: Fruit Cake Prep, Sibling Summit, Taco Casserole

1. The 12 days (or so) of helping Mom get things ready for Christmas began today when I combined applesauce, shortening, and sugar and cooked it and let it cool and folded it into the flour, baking soda, walnuts, candied cherries and lemon peel, dates, currants, and spices I had poured into a bowl and made a enough fruit cake dough for six fruitcakes. I will bake them on Thursday morning.

2. Christy, Carol, and I met at 3:30 at Best Shots for a sibling summit to enjoy some drinks together and talk about Mom's care and decide how much longer I will stay in Kellogg before heading back to Maryland (after December 13th). On the libation side of things, I drank an Irish Death and Carol was drinking a Stella cider and suddenly I thought a half cider/half Irish Death would taste good -- and I was right!

3. It was Christy's turn to make dinner and she brought over a delicious taco casserole and a spicy cabbage salad. Mom, Christy, Everett, and I sat around Mom's kitchen table and enjoyed our meal and talked about the events of the day -- Christy's return from the sleep clinic, how well (or not) Mom's new clothes fit, and the 12 (or so) days of helping Mom get things ready for Christmas.

No comments: