Monday, October 4, 2010

Three Beautiful Things 10/03/10: Dryer, Steaks, Gilgamesh

1.  I do not enjoy making big item purchases and I usually procrastinate when one needs to be made.  In fact, I find it hard to buy anything for myself.  It's just the way I am.  But, today I needed to go out and buy a new dryer for our family and went to Oldfield's and bought one I'm happy with. I bought it quickly and arranged for its delivery.  I sort of enjoyed getting this task completed.

2. Tonight was steak night.  I don't know if I've ever fried steaks, but I seasoned a couple of steaks, let them reach room temperature, got out the electric frying pan, and very carefully tried not to overcook them.  I succeeded, but they were too rare.  I tried again and they came out all right.  The baked potatoes were flawless and the Deke and I enjoyed our rib eye steaks and baked potato dinner.  (I am going to make improving as a steak cook a new project.)

3.  I re-read Gilgamesh and thought again how his descent into darkness and the new insights he learns from his journeys rings really true for me; in many ways, the blindness I suffered after my eyes were burned in the bottom of the Zinc Plant flash roaster is similar to the days and leagues of darkness Gilgamesh endures on his way to becoming no longer a boy, but a man. I didn't become a man in 1973, but I could no longer see the world as innocently or as naively any longer. 

No comments: