Thursday, October 7, 2010

Three Beautiful Things 10/06/10: Dogs Are Already There, Uplift at the Dentist, Lector History

1.  When Odysseus comes back to Ithaca in disguise, no one recognizes him except his aged dog. This moment in The Odyssey makes me nearly cry.   I was telling Melanie about this and she said, in reference to the work we've been doing with the hero's journey,  that dogs don't need a hero's journey.  They're already there.  I nearly cried.

2. I have lousy teeth.  I know it.  They know it at my dentist's office.  I go to the dentist every three months.  Kristen treats me so kindly, does such superb work, is so nice that I look forward to my visits.  It's the same when I work with the dentist himself, Dr. Robert Stephenson.  He's a calm, straight shooter.  Today's visit to the dentist was again a pleasure.  I never in my life thought I'd say this, but here I go:  I love going to the dentist.

3.   At tonight's meeting at church for deacons, lay eucharistic ministers, and lectors, I had a good time shooting the breeze with Adrienne, Nancy, and George, getting caught up on things and having a few good laughs -- a lot of good history there.  I also realized I've been reading Old Testament lessons at St. Mary's for twenty-three years now. A lot of good history there.

No comments: