Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Three Beautiful Things 10/11/10: Prodigal Dog Returns Home, Spaghetti Sauce, Moosehead Canadian Lager

1.  My favorite stories and movies are ones where a character leaves home and returns again.  My favorite story hit too close to home today.  This morning, Maggie squirmed out of her collar apparatus and ran away.  Deke couldn't find her.  I couldn't find her.  An hour later, she returned home and I found out about her return in the afternoon.  I think I felt a joy similar to the citizens of Ithaca when they discover their hero-king Odysseus has returned home again.  I might have felt something like the joy of the father when the prodigal son returns home -- only ours was a decidedly less prodigal dog. 

2.  We didn't feast on a fatted lamb or anything when Maggie returned, but I cooked up a spaghetti sauce for dinner that the family agreed was killer:  hamburger, sweet Italian sausage, mushrooms, sweet onions, two jars of Trader Joe's Original Marinara Sauce, and four organic Roma tomatoes.  (The day will come when I make my own marinara sauce like I did years ago, but tonight was not the right night for that.)

3.  When I was in my late twenties, I used to occasion a bar at the Eugene downtown Atrium and I can't remember the name of it.  I always drank Moosehead Canadian lager beer at this bar and had some splendid times there talking and laughing with friends.  Today I bought a six-pack of Moosehead Canadian lager beer and remembered how much I enjoy it.  It's crisp, light, a little hoppy, and easy to enjoy.

No comments: