Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Three Beautiful Things 12/14/10: Grades Posted, Fun With Pork, A Delicate Balance

1.  I posted grades, a bittersweet conclusion to the quarter.  I enjoy posting high grades and it's a pleasure to post high grades for students who did great work.  It's not a pleasure to flunk students who disappeared or didn't write all their papers.  If I could change anything in my professional life, I would wave a magic wand and not have to deal with students who disappear or who don't write all their essays.  Flunking them is really unpleasant. 

2.  I marinated the last third of the too large pork loin roast I bought at Thanksgiving with Stubb's Pork Marinate for nearly forty-eight hours and then slow-cooked it with potatoes, onion, and celery.  It was fun to take on of our white platters and put the sliced pork in the middle and surround it with the potatoes, onions, and celery.  It was a good dinner.  I enjoyed Molly's and the Deke's mmms and yums.

3.  I went back in time tonight to 1980-81, the school year when I focused much of my study on American Drama in preparation for a field exam in my graduate program.  I watched, on DVD, Edward Albee's "A Delicate Balance", directed by Tony Richardson, featuring Paul Scofield, Katharine Hepburn, Kate Reid, Lee Remick, Joseph Cotten, and Blair Brown.  The film was made as part of the American Film Theater series.  It's a long, wearing, poetic, brilliant, tiring, wearisome, beautiful portrayal of ennui, of dread, of loss, of emptiness, of white upper class American suburban angst.  This production is brilliantly acted.  Its impact on me?  Fear.  Is this what our lives come to?  Is this what happens when we enter our sixties?  Drained?  Quiet despair?

No comments: