Saturday, September 3, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 09/02/11: The Troxstar Surveys His City, Electric Frying Pan Annivesary, Harvard Beats Yale 29-29

1.  A fairly normal day suddenly was elevated to extraordinary.  He was hiding behind sunglasses, his Willy on a leash,  outside the Kiva, calmly surveying his city, blending in, calling no attention to himself, being like an everyday guy:  yes, I saw and then talked to the Troxstar late this afternoon.  BONUS:  We were soon joined by Mme. Troxstar.  It was the perfect trifecta.  Troxstar, Mme. Troxstar, and Willy.  I almost called it quits for the day.  I almost jumped in the car, headed home, and went to bed.  My day peaked early.

2.  In my search for post-Troxstar meaning and fulfillment, I headed to the kitchen.  After all, I had bought a bag of groceries at the Kiva and the Deke had requested that we eat some lean ground beef accompanied by onions, mushrooms, zucchini, snow peas, and red pepper.  On the one-year anniversary of having purchased my electric frying pan, I cooked the Deke the dinner she requested.  Her response, and I quote, "Perfect."

3.  I was feeling pretty chipper after the perfect meal and thinking that I could stay awake and make the rest of my hours of this day meaningful in the wake of the Troxstar Experience, so I decided to watch a documentary film I'd been thinking about since it came out:  "Harvard Beats Yale, 29-29".  It's a look back at the 1968 Yale-Harvard football game, a game whose significance was magnified by both teams coming into the last game of the season undefeated for the first time since 1908.  I enjoy football a lot, so it was thrilling to watch the game itself unfold as the movie developed.  The heart of the movie, though, is the interviews with about fifty of the players as they look back, not only on the game, but on the experience of being a college student in 1968.  I was left with one small question.  Because I've been a football fan for nearly fifty years, I loved the football in the movie.  I wondered to myself whether a person who were indifferent to football would also enjoy the thrill of the game and the absorbing interviews that give the movie its soul.  I read one non-football fan reviewer who did.  I wondered about all my friends at school who aren't interested in football but love documentaries and social history.  Would this movie work for them?

No comments: