Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 09/26/11: Lord,Sam, Steaks

1.  My favorite moment today in World Lit. was in trying to establish that divine reality, which dominates this course, is best explored and approximated by figurative language.  It's really the only way.  I put "The Lord is my shepherd" on the board and asked what the first metaphor of this sentence is.  Immediately, members of the class answered, "Shepherd."  "No", I said, "that's the second metaphor" and we began to discuss how the earthly idea of lord served as the metaphor for beginning to grasp the sway, the power of the Divine.  And then it got better as we saw, in Psalm 23, the unexpected idea that this powerful Lord is a lowly shepherd.

2.  I had a good visit with Sam when I got home, a discussion that gave us both a lot to ponder about all sorts of things, including education.

3.  Those flat iron steaks, seared and served medium rare:  really good. 


No comments: