Sunday, October 14, 2012

Three Beautiful Things 10/13/12: Dorothy's Funeral, Brown Ale, Tigers

1.  I experienced the funeral for Dorothy Bergquist and the interment of her ashes in the columbarium in the chapel as a perfect mourning of Dorothy being gone to us, a perfect celebration of her vitality and goodness, and a perfect immersion into the music that animated her life and touched all those with whom she shared it. 

2.  These days I just don't want much of a hop presence in the beer I drink and lately the brown ales have suited me.  The Deke and I went over to Cornucopia for an hour or so just to sit and relax and I enjoyed two 12 oz bottles of Lost Coast Brewery's Downtown Brown.  My favorite beers tend, in one way or another, to transport me back to the informal beer tour I took of England back in 1979, drinking ales all over the country for three months.  Brown ale does that, making it a pleasing beer in multiple ways.

3.  I was tracking the Tigers and Yankees online and figured after the Nats' loss and the Stanford loss, that another team I was rooting for was going to get beat in a miserable way.  I fell asleep in the 11th after Ichiro and Ibanez both homered to tie the game in the 9th.  I woke up about 2 a.m. and debated whether to go online and see in what inning the Tigers finally lost the game.  I went for it.  I was wrong!  The Tigers won.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the score.  I was also shocked by the terrible injury to Derek Jeter.

No comments: