Sunday, October 28, 2012

Three Beautiful Things 10/27/12: Comfort Food, Pitching Rotation, Jayson Stark on the Giants

1.  The Deke, being uncomfortable with her knee out of commission, wanted comfort food and I suggested the recipe in the Cook's cookbook for chili macaroni.  Perfect!  So I combined the ground beef, onion, red pepper, garlic, cumin, chili powder, tomato products, brown sugar, and macaroni in the cast iron skillet and topped in with shredded Mexican cheese and the Deke was comforted.

2.  I enjoy it when sports talk/sports writing conventional wisdom is wrong.  I hear this stuff and I say to myself, "It can't be that simple."  For example, as the World Series was getting underway, the repeated conventional wisdom among sports experts was that the Giants were in trouble because their seven game series against the Cardinals meant that they couldn't set their pitching rotation the way they wanted it in the World Series.  Their ace, Matt Cain, wouldn't be able to pitch until game 4.  Well, here it is, game 4, and the "lower" pitchers in the Giants' rotation pitched splendidly and the Giants have their ace available to possibly clinch the Series on Sunday.  I'm very happy that conventional wisdom was so wrong.

3.  Speaking of the World Series, I really enjoyed this piece by espn.com's Jayson Stark.  It places the performance of the Giants in the first three games in historical perspective with some astonishing facts and makes the argument that this is a really old-fashioned team:  winning with pitching and defense.  I enjoyed the videoblog that accompanies this article, as well.  It's fun to see Jayson Stark be so excited about such a solid, unglamorous, Old School team. 

No comments: