Thursday, June 26, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 06/25/14: Byrdman Beer Session at Crafted, Matinee Meal for Carol, Jane Alexander is the Best

1.  While the Deke was at a two hour workshop at a Coeur d'Alene knitting store, Byrdman and I bellied up to the bar at the newest and best taproom in the town:  Crafted Tap House + Kitchen.  If you love a wide range of beer styles or want to start loving them, Crafted is the place to go at 523 E. Sherman.  I started the Byrdman blowout with a Payette Pale Ale, my first taste of a Payette brew and it was solid.  So were the garlic fries I ordered.  Then, our session turned from solid to sublime when I ordered a bomber of Goose Island's Sofie for me and the Byrdman to split.  If you have read even a little bit about my love for beer, you know that Sofie is one of my favorite Farmhouse Ales/Saisons and splitting this bottle of beer bliss made me very happy.  Scanning the tens of tap handles, I noticed that Crafted was pouring Deschutes Fresh Squeezed, one of my very favorite IPAs.  Byrdman and I split a pint and then split another.  If I lived in CdA, I'd be at Crafted Tap House every day.  The beer selections were awesome, the service and atmosphere and food were double awesome, and it is a great place to sit and yak it up -- which Byrdman and I did a gold medal job of.  This was a righteous noon time beer session . . . and a great surprise.

Crafted's Facebook Picture


2.  As if quaffing great beer at a great tap room with Byrdman weren't enough, our family got together in Carol and Paul's backyard for the third day in a row to sort of celebrate Carol's July 3 birthday early.  It turns out there will be an official celebration later, but who cares?  It was a matinee meal, and Paul barbequed a turkey, the Deke, Paul, and Mom all brought salads and we had a splendid dinner, marked by tons of stories and wise cracks and tons and tons of laughter, especially when some family pictures were taken:


3.  What better way to wind down after a day of great yakking, stories, and laughter than to stay up until 1 a.m. watching about three or so consecutive hours of Law and Order?  And to have one of the episodes feature one of my very favorite actors ever:  Jane Alexander.  Wow!  She's incredible in the two-part episode entitled "Entitled", playing the mega-wealthy, regal, corrupt, manipulative matriarch Regina Mulroney. 

No comments: