Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 07/18/16: Mom's Best Medicine, Kitchen Take Over!, On the Deck

1. I woke up and came upstairs to find Mom weary after a lousy night's sleep. She'd been up since 5 o'clock, troubled during the night by dreams about her medication schedule. She was short of breath and decided to use her oxygen while sitting in her chair, something she hasn't done since I've been here.  As the morning progressed, Mom rallied. Naps helped. So did having the Deke and I in the house along with a visit by Jane from next door and Christy coming over. There's not a doubt in my mind that companionship is the best medicine, no matter the size of the dose, although this is one thing in life where more is better.

2. For the first time since arriving in Kellogg ten days ago, I took over the kitchen! I fixed an electric frying pan dinner of ground beef, onion, green beans, mushrooms, red pepper, and red potatoes topped with some grated cheddar cheese,  accompanied by a bowl of sliced sweet onions and cucumber in rice vinegar. I couldn't remember if I'd ever fixed this for Mom before, so I was very happy when she said she enjoyed this dinner a lot.

3. Mom headed into bed a little earlier than usual tonight after having a lousy night last night, and the Deke and I went over to Christy and Everett's deck for a drink and some conversation and laughs until a storm started to roll in, sending us dashing for cover back in Mom's house. 

No comments: