Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 07/26/16: Mom Update, Dinner on the Deck, Longing

1.  Mom continues to be fatigued, but her energy was better today than yesterday.  She tried to take a nap late in the afternoon, but she couldn't sleep once she lay down on her bed.  She hasn't heard news just yet about the reading of her heart monitor and I think the waiting is making her anxious. The plan was to hear from the clinic on Tuesday or Wednesday, so I hope we get some news on Wednesday.

2.  I assumed dinner responsibilities tonight and found a simple recipe involving ground beef, garbanzo beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, and seasonings. The recipe called for this mixture to be put in the oven. That didn't make sense to me, so I combined and cooked the ingredients (I added red pepper) in the cast iron skillet and then put it all in the crock pot. I boiled some noodles (or is it pasta? I'm not sure), let them cool, and added them into the crock pot about a half an hour before dinner. I also baked beer bread from a box mix and added celery, radishes, cucumber, and grape tomatoes to a Caesar salad kit to make a salad. Christy, Everett, Mom, and I enjoyed this dinner on Mom's deck, relieved as the ninety degree day slowly cooled off in the evening shade.

3.  The Deke sent me a picture of the interior of Quench, one of our favorite taprooms in Maryland. It made me happy that she was enjoying a couple beers and a wrap. At the same time, I couldn't suppress the feeling of longing to be with her, talking things over, having a few laughs, and enjoying some offerings from Quench's always reliable tap list.

No comments: