Mommie Dearest posted Are You Real Athol?, here, and so Silver Valley Girl decided that she and InlandEmpireGirl and I should write a similar list about the Silver Valley. I opted to focus mine on Kellogg. Read InlandEmpireGirl's list, here and overachieving Silver Valley Girl, here, who listed twenty-five plus an unnumbered 26th!
In no particular order, here are my twenty:
1. You were born in the Wardner Hospital, which was in Kellogg.
2. When you went school shopping at J. C. Penney you only cost your parents about $15.00 because all you needed was a new pair of Dickies, a pack of white T-shirts, and a pair of P.F. Flyers.
3. You got a ride to work drunk on day shift on Saturday morning from a friend whose floor you passed out on and then after your shift you had to ask a fellow worker if he had time to drive you around Kellogg and Smelterville to find your car because you lost it some time, some where on Friday night.
4. You had read all the comic books and baseball magazines at Dick and Floyd's while waiting for your dad to quit drinking in the back so you could get home for supper, late.
5. You learned to play baseball on AstroDirt©, great training for the bad hop.
6. When you got drunk at the Kopper Keg and couldn't drink your last beer, you dumped in down a pool table pocket.
7. Whenever you went to the Gold Strike stamp store in Coeur d' Alene you always got lost trying to navigate the tangled web of streets and heavy traffic.
8. North Idaho College was your first experience with cultural diversity.
9. The center of social activity was the Kellogg swimming pool parking lot.
10. Your favorite T-shirt said, "Ranier: Breakfast of Champions".
11. Your first experience with wine was Annie Green Springs and your first mixed drink was Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill with 7-Up--a wine flip.
12. You had to go to college to have a pizza that wasn't frozen, eat an enchilada that wasn't canned, or have a steady diet of Kentucky Fried Chicken.
13. If you ever got to go to a big city, you explored it by going bowling.
14. The largest clothing department at J.C. Penney was work clothes.
15. The best meal in town was the toasted cheese sandwich at the Pik Kwik lunch counter with a Pepsi over crushed ice in a glass embossed with the cursive Pepsi logo.
16. Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Green River" was the greatest album ever released.
17. You chewed Copenhagen in class in high school because you could swallow.
18. Cherry Vodka.
19. You came to love the thunderstorms that rumbled in over Lookout Pass from Montana when once they made you hide under your covers when you were a little kid.
20. You left Kellogg, thinking you'd go far, went far, and now spend many of your waking hours wishing you were back.