Sunday, October 6, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 10/05/13: Vero Breakfast, Too Short of a Visit, Oregon Duck Fatalism

1.  Sister Carol and I made our way over to the Vero espresso house and enjoyed some more conversation and a bagel with cream cheese and a coffee drink.  It was nippy outside, but the inside was crowded and noisy and, I, for one, enjoyed being out in the fog where it was quieter, even if a little chilly.

2.  The fog lifted and I drove sister Carol to the airport in Portland, wishing that our visits and our sibling outings didn't have to be so short.  I wanted more time together in Nelson, I wanted to see more of Carol in Kellogg, and I wanted to have this visit last longer.  The good news is that our drive to Portland was safe and so was my drive home and we'll see each other again some time in the next several months.

3.  It's funny.  The Oregon Ducks are rated by coaches and the press as the second best football team in the USA, but emotionally, I still experience them as the unpredictable, likely to lose Oregon Ducks I used to watch when I moved to Eugene back in 1979.  I listened to the Ducks play Colorado on the radio as I drove back from Portland and they didn't score on their first series, they fell behind 3-0 and then 10-8.  The Ducks gave up 16 points in the first half, and even though the Ducks scored 43, I was nervous, reacting emotionally as if they were the same kind of team that blew big leads in games in nineties.  I can't shake it, I guess.  I am one of those fatalistic Duck fans who thinks disaster is just a snap away and just can't seem to get accustomed to their 21st century successes. 

No comments: