Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 10/29/13: The Big Picture, Mid-day Lunch at the Pour House, The Deke Arrived

1.  As I've done before, I'm working with my WR 115 students on the question of happiness and I showed the documentary Happy today.  I wondered, as I watched this movie for about the 10th time, if my students were seeing how this movie consistently claims, through the testimony of scientists and the stories told by a variety of people, that, from this movie's point of view, it's not so much what we achieve ourselves or do for ourselves so much as what we do with and for others that brings happiness.  I wonder if they understand happiness less as a feeling than as a condition, a way of being, as less about feeling good and more about living for purposes that extend far beyond concern for self or for individuality.  

2.  After classes ended, and after caring for the dogs, I sauntered over to the Falling Sky Pour House and Delicatessen for a Corned Beef Rubin and pint of very tasty Daywalker Irish Red.  It'd been a while since I'd had a red ale and I enjoyed it a lot.  It being mid-afternoon, the place was quiet and I read from a few articles in the New Yorker while enjoying my food.  Maybe if I write this down, I'll remember for the future:  a half a sandwich at this deli is plenty for me.  Less would be more for me when it comes to full enjoyment of the splendid Rubin this place makes.

3.  Everything worked out for the Deke today and I got to see a darling short video of  Olivia greeting her at the airport. 

No comments: