Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 10/22/13: Discussing Happiness, Tacos and Beer, "The Glass Menagerie" on Broadway

1.  My ten o'clock WR 115 class has some students who like to discuss things and our discussion about value-based vs. physical, feel-good happiness was really good. 

2.  After I taught my classes, I stopped in at the First National Taphouse for a couple of splendid $2.00 beef brisket tacos and a pint of one of my favorite beers, Firestone DBA. 

3.  My mid-afternoon snack was made even more enjoyable by Hilton Als' review in a recent issue of *The New Yorker* of a Broadway production of "The Glass Menagerie" featuring Cherry Jones as Amanda.  I appreciated and enjoyed his review of the performance more than I admired his discussion of Tennesee Williams and his general comments about "The Glass Menagerie", which he described as depthless.  I experience it as deep, both emotionally and intellectually, as an exploration of family, memory, abandonment, and the American restless desire to break out, to be free.

No comments: