Saturday, October 5, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 10/01/13: Good to be Back, Pumpkin Ale and Papers, Pastrami and Corned Beef on Rye

1.  I really didn't want to fully retire from classroom teaching and this teaching part-time works beautifully.  I thoroughly enjoyed being back in the classroom, meeting new students, having fun interactions, repeating to the students that I'm on their side; in short, I enjoyed doing the work I've always enjoyed.

2.  When I walk off the bus after I'm done with school, I'm only a block from the First National Taphouse.  Today, I has some student writing to read so I ordered a pint of Elysium Night Owl Pumpkin Ale and slowly sipped on it -- slowly, because I wanted it to warm up a bit -- and read my students' first piece of writing and was encouraged by what I read.

3.  The Deke and I met at the Falling Sky Pour House Deli and along with some stout on nitro, I order a sandwich that was half pastrami and half corned beef on homemade marbled rye bread.  The meat is also cured in house.  I loved the sandwich.  The two meats' tastes were perfect compliments to each other and made me wish it were healthy to eat this kind of sandwich daily -- even hourly. 

No comments: